Powered By Blogger

Sunday 29 May 2011

MANY THANKS FOR THE MESSAGES OF SUPPORT


MANY THANKS  TO THOSE WHO GAVE MESSAGES OF  SUPPORT  TO SHEFFIELD AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL ON OUR 50TH BIRTHDAY


"Congratulations on 50 years of fighting for those whose voice is being suppressed and those whose rights are being oppressed.  As a Friend of Amnesty, I have been proud to help on focusing on individuals whose lives and freedom have been threatened and through the work of Amnesty, have had their plight highlighted and their chances of freedom enhanced.

"Many parts of the world remain a dangerous place for those committed to democracy and free speech, and who are prepared to place themselves at risk in order to promote the wellbeing of others.  I hope that Amnesty will continue focusing on those whose very right to life and liberty is being threatened the most, and that the democratic world will continue to press for the freedoms that we take, too often, for granted."

David Blunkett MP

 **********************************************************************************
"I love Amnesty's symbol, the candle burning despite the coil of barbed wire around it. And the proverb on which it is based - "It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness". That is also the motto of the Association or Radical Midwives, who insist on treating pregnant women in a human way, rather than subjecting them to the tyranny of technology. The smallest human contact can make a world of difference. Added together small acts can change the whole world. Light a candle. Happy birthday!"

Cllr Jillian Creasy, Green Party
..........................................................................................................
The Right Reverend Dr Steven Croft, Bishop of Sheffield
I send my warm greetings to the Sheffield Amnesty International Group as
Amnesty International celebrates its 50th anniversary with the local branch.
It is sobering to think both of the number of people who have been supported
over the last fifty years and of the task still to be continued in the
present and the future.  I hope and trust the occasions are both a fitting
celebration and an opportunity for recommitment to this vital cause.......................................................................................................
Nick Clegg, Deputy Prime Minister
 “I'd like to congratulate you for the perseverance and dedication of Amnesty International over the past 50 years. I hope you have a fantastic evening celebrating the impact your organisation has had by providing a voice for the world’s most vulnerable”
…………………………………………


Marina Lewycka, prize winning author:
It's simpler and safer to come to an agreement with tyrants, and carry on with business as normal; it's easier  to turn a blind eye to  abuses of human rights, especially those committed by 'our own' side. But thank goodness not everyone does; thank goodness someone is there for those who are brave enough to speak out, and that someone is often Amnesty International. So happy Anniversary Sheffield Amnesty, and congratulations for fifty years of shining the spotlight on the dirty secrets of dictators and torturers.
...........................................................................................................................
Paul Blomfield, MP for Sheffield Central:

“For 50 years Amnesty International has been a voice for human rights around the world and in today’s globalised world Amnesty’s work is more important than ever.

“I believe a key part of Amnesty’s success is down to local groups like Sheffield Amnesty. Your hard work to organise vigils, demonstrations, letter-writing campaigns and much much more is what keeps human rights issues in the news and makes sure that important causes are not forgotten about or ignored. 

“Here’s to 50 years of Amnesty and to the important work I know you will all do in the future.”
......................................................................................................................

Troy Davis

Troy Davis is still languishing on death row.

"I want you to know that the trauma placed on me and my family as I have now faced execution and the death chamber 3 times is more than most can bare; but as I face this state santioned terror, I realize one constant, my faith is unwavering, the love of my family and friends is massive and the fight for justice and against injustice by Amnesty activists have ignited a fire that is raging for Human Rights and Human Dignity. You inspire me, you honor me and as I pray for strength and guidance for my family and loved ones, for the victims family and loved ones, I share with you this struggle, I share with you our triumphs, knowing that you add to my strength, and my courage, I share with you my life.
We must Dismantle  this Unjust system city by city, state by state and country by country.
I can't wait to Stand with you, no matter if that is in physical or spiritual form, I will one day be announcing, 'I AM TROY DAVIS, and I AM FREE!'

Never Stop Fighting for Justice and We will Win!"
........................................................................................................................

Sami al Hajj
Sami al Hajj is the al Jazeera journalist held at Guantanamo Bay for several years, released 2008 & back working for al Jazeera. 
"Myself, my son Mohammed and my wife Asma thank all AI members for supporting me and for supporting human rights.  We will work hard with them together until we achieve peace for all people in the world.  I will never forget their help and I will pray for them.  I ask them to keep praying for me also. I will be glad if they continue their relationship with me, are in touch with me in my life and help me with my new job."
.......................................................
Alexei Sokolov, Human rights activist currently serving a prison sentence in a remote penal colony in Russia (Don’t forget to sign the card to him, everybody):

Dear friends from Amnesty International,
I wish to convey my heartfelt gratitude for your assistance and support which have enabled me to endure this difficult stage in my life.
… Communication here {in prison} is equally special, therefore each one of you is a friend to me, and every correspondence from you for me is a kind of “breath of freedom” in this dark world which refreshes my soul with feelings of hope, confidence and optimism.
Your messages come in handy during the most difficult moments and when life becomes particularly hard and all energy is gone – it is at such moments that I turn to your letters to re-read them again. Your solidarity with me is the best reward for the time I have been here.
Looking at your postcards with Dutch scenery, brochures with neighbourhoods and old castles of England, with the finest streets of France etc before I go to bed, enables me to take a dive into a beautiful world full of kindness, to become an explorer walking in different cities of the world, albeit in my sleep. And the taste of sweets you have sent to me gives rise to feelings of celebration.
Thank you for your support and participation in my fate and my family’s fate. Thank you also for the opportunity to reunite with my family even if for once in 6 months for three days.
All the very best. What you are doing is very important. Thank you. Yours sincerely and with thanks to each of you,  Aleksei Sokolov

No comments:

Post a Comment